Friday, January 29, 2021

Saints from A to Z: Letter T

Hello! I'm back after a short break. :) My brother Esteban and I decided to do a collaboration together back in April, but I've been slacking (maybe procrastinating is a better word). Esteban has set out on a mission to draw 52 saints, one male and one female, for every letter of the alphabet. I will be writing some biographies to go along with his drawings. Be sure to check out the series here. He's already done eight drawings and I've done zero biographies, so here's to hoping I can catch up soon. :) 

If it was my choice, we'd be starting with letter "a", but according to Esteban, it is boring to do everything in line and perfect because that never happens in real life. So, if you like orderly fashions and going from a to z, be prepared because this series will be a bit out of order. 


Female Saint for T:
Before I introduce today's saint, I'll give you three clues, but if you have come from Esteban's blog, then you probably already know who I'll be writing about.

CLUE 1: The cause of my death was tuberculosis. 
CLUE 2: My father was a watchmaker and my mother was a lace maker. 
CLUE 3: My mother died during my childhood, so one of my sisters become my second mother. 

Were you successful? If you guessed Saint Therese of Lisieux, then you are correct and have a strong knowledge of her life! Along with being the patron saint of France and missionaries, she is also the patron of florists, pilots, and illnesses. 

Marie Francoise-Therese Martin was born in Alencon, France to Louis and Zelie Martin on January 2, 1873 and baptized two days later on January 4, as Marie Frances Therese. Due to an illness, her mother passed away in 1877 and  the family moved to Lisieux. Her father was left to take care of his five girls, while teaching them to have a Catholic life. Eventually, Therese's older sister Pauline took on the role as her second mother by becoming her first teacher.  

A few years later, when Therese was nine years old, Pauline left home and entered the convent. Therese was very close to her sister, so this left her saddened and she had much to suffer. Soon, she became very ill and suffered from headaches and insomnia. However, Therese was cured by "Our Lady of the Smile" on May 13, 1883. Soon after, when she was only nine years old, she decided that she was going to enter the convent. 

After many years of prayer and suffering, Therese was given permission to enter Carmel in 1888. She became a novice at the age of 16, and made her Profession of Vows two years later. She worked very hard in the sacristy and dining room, painting many pictures, wrote poems, and had a devout spiritual life, while taking charge and leading the novices. 

She lived a very peaceful life, although she endured much. She was spared from the influenza that spread throughout the convent in 1890, but seven years later she was diagnosed with tuberculosis. On September 30, 1897, at the age of 24, she died with the last words being "My God, I love You!"


Source:
https://www.littleflower.org/therese/


Some of my favorite books about St. Therese: 
  • Little Therese: The Life of St. Therese for Children by Pere Carbonel, S.J.
  • Saint Therese and the Roses by Helen Walker Homan
  • Olivia and the Little Way by Nancy Carabio Belanger (Isn't directly about St. Therese, but teaches about the Little Way)
  • St. Theresa the Little Flower by Sr. Gesualda of the Holy Spirit
  • Mornings with Saint Therese: 120 Daily Readings by St. Therese compiled by Patricia Treece

I hope you enjoyed this biography and be sure to check out Esteban's drawing of St. Therese here. Hopefully the rest of the biographies will come soon, but until then you can follow along with the drawings. 

What is your favorite book about St. Therese? 



-Miss K

4 comments:

  1. I love St. Therese! She's one of my confirmation saints!
    My favorite book about her is "My Sister St. Therese" by Sr. Genevieve of the Holy Face, Therese's sister. It has a lot of great outside insight into her spirituality. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Therese is a great saint! She's actually my older sister's confirmation saint too. I've heard of that book before, but I haven't read it.

      Delete
  2. St. Therese is so inspirational about living in small ways with great love (me, paraphrasing a quote from Mother Theresa, but she chose that name from this Therese, so it works!). She is one of the saints that I know a lot about, but I still learned a lot from this. Especially the part about her being cured by "Our Lady of the Smile"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I knew a lot about St. Therese too, but after researching, I learned a lot too. It was hard just to do a short summary, as there is a ton of information out there. The part about "Our Lady of the Smile" was new for me too. After St. Therese got very sick, she prayed to Our Lady to be cured. Soon after, she looked at her statue of Our Lady near her bed, and the face was smiling. I'm glad you learned something knew from this biography!

      Delete