Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Books of 2020

Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone! Another new year calls for another year of lots of reading! I didn't read as many books as I wanted to, since a college class took over my time for that (thanks World History), but I did discover some new favorites. As for 2021, we'll see how many books I find time for, but I do hope to reread some of my childhood favorites since I'll be turning 18 this year. 


List of 2020 books: 

*part of a series or has a sequel and blue links have a review

  1. Saint Philomena the Wonder-Worker: by Fr. Paul O'Sullivan, O.P.
  2. Guns, Germs, and Steel: by Jared Diamond
  3. Stories of Padre Pio: by Madame Katharina Tangari
  4. Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World: by Jack Weatherford
  5. The Iron Man of China: by Dr. Paul and Robert Lavin
  6. *Our Lady and the Guardian: by Fr. Stephen Gemme
  7. The Silence Between Us: Alison Gervais
  8. A Wilder Rose: Susan Wittig Albert
  9. The Gunsery Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: by Mary Ann Shaffer
  10. Book of a Thousand Days: by Shannon Hale
  11. *Frozen Footprints: by Therese Heckenkamp
  12. *After the Thaw: by Therese Heckenkamp
  13. Shane: by Jack Shaefer 
  14. A Room of My Own: by Ann Tatlock
  15. Physician's Untold Stories: by Dr. Scott J. Kolbaba
  16. *The Butterfly and the Violin: by Kristy Cambron 
  17. *A Sparrow in Terezin: by Kristy Cambron
  18. The Destiny of Sunshine Ranch: by T.M. Gaouette
  19. *The Perfect Blindside: by Leslea Wahl
  20. Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust: by Immaculee Ilibagiza
  21. An Unexpected Role: by Leslea Wahl
  22. The Weka Feather Cloak: by Leo Madigan
  23. Gifts: Visible and Invisible: by 8 Catholic Teen Authors
I enjoyed all of these books and it's very hard to pick one favorite, so I'm going to list my top five favorites that will be on my to reread list. 


1. The Iron Man of China: 
This was one of the first books that I read for the year. It tells the story of Father Lavin, who was a Maryknoll priest. From 1932 to 1953, he served the people of China and became known as "Chinese Joe". He often traveled thousands of miles on foot and bicycle to help the people of China. Everyday, he worked very hard to convert as many people as possible to the Catholic faith. I enjoyed this book too because it has many historical accounts, including Father Lavin's personal letters to his family and newspaper clippings from China.

2. Frozen Footprints (and the sequel, After the Thaw):
I can't even begin to explain how wonderful this book was! I can say though, don't start it right before bed because you will have a lot of trouble stopping. If you haven't read any of Therese Heckenkamp's books, I highly recommend them. Frozen Footprints is about twins Charlene and Max Perigard, who have to deal with their rich, ruling grandfather. However, Max disappears and a ransom note is left behind. The twins must turn to God and Our Lady for help as they battle through survival, getting special help with the rosary. Once you read this one, you have to read the sequel. It puts you on the edge of your seat, if that didn't already happen in the first book. I do have to warn you about the content, as it does get a bit descriptive with violence, so I would recommend it to older teens, ages 16 and up. 

3. Physician's Untold Stories:
This book was a quick read, around 100 pages with each chapter telling a new miracle. Several doctors share their experiences of situations that have occurred in their lives that can't be explained with science. Some of the doctors themselves had no belief in God until they saw their patient be part of a miracle. 

4. Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust:
Before reading this book, I didn't know much about the Rwandan Holocaust so it was very interesting to me. This particular account is told from Immaculee Ilibagiza's point of view. She recalls her own experiences and the many things she witnessed while hiding from the killers. During these 91 days, she discovered God's many graces to her and the other women in hiding. To get the rest of the details, be sure to read this book! 

5. Gifts: Visible and Invisible: 
This was my last read of the year and it was a great one to end with, as it is a Christmas book. Susan Peek, Katy Huth Jones, Carolyn Astfalk, Theresa Linden, Leslea Wahl, Cynthia T. Toney, T.M. Gaouette, and Corinna Turner all come together to share their Catholic Christmas short stories with teens. Most of these stories took me by surprise with their endings, so it held my attention throughout. 


What was your favorite book of 2020? How many books do you hope to read this year?


-Miss K

No comments:

Post a Comment