Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Book Review: Memories of Glass

A new year calls for a year of new reading. I've got a 1,000 page book to read for an English class, but before that is required, I had to finish a book. Thankfully, my local library still has curbside pick up, so I was able to read a new book called Memories of Glass by Melanie Dobson. 

"This novel draws from true accounts to shine a light of a period of Holland's darkest history and bravest heroes. 

1942. As war rips through the heart of Holland, childhood friends Josie van Rees and Eliese Linden partner with a few daring citizens to rescue Eliese's son and hundreds of other Jewish children who await deportation in a converted theater in Amsterdam. But amid their resistance work, Josie and Eliese's dangerous secrets could derail their friendship and their entire mission. When the enemy finds these women, only one will escape. 

Seventy-five years later, Ava Drake begins to suspect that her great-grandfather William Kingston was not the World War II hero he claimed to be. Her work as director of the prestigious Kingston Family Foundation leads her to Landon West's Ugandan coffee plantation, and Ava and Landon soon discover a connection between their families. As Landon's great-grandmother shares the broken pieces of her story, Ava must confront the greatest loss in her own life- and powerful members of the Kingston family who will do anything to keep the truth buried." (Photo and text credit)

My favorite books are the ones that start right with the story and leave you in suspense as to what is happening, causing you to read the whole book in just a few sittings. However, this is not one of the books. The first five chapters were a bit slow, but after that it did get suspenseful and the characters came alive. If I had to describe this book in three words it would be exciting, heartbreaking, and uplifting. A novel about any holocaust is going to have sad parts, but this one has lots of good parts too. 


 Things I Liked:

  • The alternating point of views: beginning with Josie in 1942, then going to present day Ava, and then back and forth throughout the entire book.
  • The mystery: Ava lives with her grandmother and uncles, and is able to connect Josie and Eliese's past with her present life. It was breathtaking at times because the mystery gets very involved and complex.
  • The friendship: Josie and Eliese each get their own chapters throughout, making it interesting to read their thoughts about each other. Similarly, Ava and Landon (and eventually Faith) have a wonderful friendship that ultimately lead to the success of the mystery.
  • The faith: In both plots, the characters have a strong belief in God. The author uses them to show the message of forgiveness and love among all people. 

Things I Didn't Like:
  • Nothing (It's a great read!)

Favorite Quotes:
    "Hatred stops at nothing to destroy, but love can break through the root of evil."

    "God is going to use you to bring people together instead of tear them apart."


Content: 
There are details of the usual things you would expect in a holocaust novel: gas chambers, deaths, and children being separated from their families. 


Age:
I recommend this book for ages 16 and up, especially those who enjoy historical fiction and reading about World War II. 


Rating:
★★★★


Do you like books that switch point of views or stay in one point of view?  



-Miss K

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, this one sounds really interesting! I enjoy Holocaust novels, so I may have to check this one out!

    I'm in the process of reading a thousand-page book for school as well! Mine is Les Miserables--what's yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I started to enjoy Holocaust novels, I'd only read Anne Frank, but last summer I discovered some others similar to this one by a different author. It's interesting how the past ties into the present day and keeps the reader hooked!

      I've heard of that book. Do you like it? Mine is Far from the Tree. It's a research book so hopefully it will be interesting.

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely review, and I'm super intrigued by this book now. How, um...depressing is it? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your intrigued by this book! I didn't find it too depressing, but certain parts were a bit sad. However, unlike most books about the Holocaust, this book doesn't take the reader into the concentration camps. Instead, it is focused on the two main characters who are trying to save the children from being deported to the camps. There's also the present day plot, which is about Ava trying to fit in with her extended family. It's definitely a page turner and left me very surprised with how the plots connect. It ultimately shows the themes of good versus evil, loving your neighbor, and self sacrifice. I'd encourage you to give it a read!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like it checks off a few of my favorite things: switching points of view and World War II books! I just finished reading a WWII book (The Book Thief) so I'm probably not ready for another one just yet, but maybe after a few weeks. Excellent review! You made me feel well informed and curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy World War II books too! However, I haven't read too many books that switch the point of view so I wouldn't say they're my favorite, but I enjoyed this one!

      Delete
  4. Oh, this sounds like a great book! Some of my favorite books are historical fiction, specifically about WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Historical fiction is the best! You should check this one out sometime.

      Delete